Friday, August 27, 2010

Zoo Metaphor

I'm wondering if I define my life as a zoo and me as the zookeeper, does that help me understand the care and feeding that comes with my various pet projects and interests. And each purchase / interest adds to the care and feeding requirement / burden. Each relationship / friendship / club = zoo animal. House = zoo exhibit / several animals. Each interest, each collection, each project, each pet = zoo animal. It can come down to each storage item = zoo animal. For example, gardening is an interest. A garden and related activities can be very time consuming, to a similar degree as a pet animal / zoo animal. Every day, so form of care and feeding may be required. If I am into both gardening and, say, beading, I have to find a way to fit in activities each week / month / day, depending on how often that interest requires "care-feeding".

This may be an obvious conclusion for many people, but it's starting to become a reality in my life, hence the blog entry.

Having this mindset gives me the ability to edit my "zoo" and budget my time. I can prioritize the essential care and feeding needed to stay up to date and organized with my "zoo". And it puts the requirement to simplify into perspective. As difficult as simplifying a life may be, it may be an essential thing to do, or risk becoming hopelessly disorganized and scattered.

To come: zoo inventory.

No comments: