Monday, March 3, 2008

How do I get the best out of life?

Jeremiah 29:8-14
8 Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. 9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD. 10 This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity [ or will restore your fortunes ]. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."


I'm probably way off base by trying to deflect the question I posed in my title. It's tricky because I'm basically saying it's the wrong question. A better question is Can God get glory from my life?

The passage in Jeremiah is a reminder and an example for us. Jeremiah was speaking to the Israelites, who were in captivity and falling back into idolatry and sin, to the point where God turned them over to their enemies. Did they feel like failures? Probably. But God wanted them to learn to turn to Him and trust in Him, and unfortunately the way they were being taught this lesson was through captivity and pain. So, why would God allow this if he had plans for their good? Let's see if I understand correctly.

Often we ask the question, How can I get out of this situation? or How do I get the best out of life? But it seems to me that God wants us to trust in Him and turn to Him. He wants us living a life that honors and gives Him glory and turn away from idolatry and sin. So, is it possible that He allowed the Israelites to go through hardship in order to chasten them and teach them a lesson? Is it that simple? Did He plan for them to come through this experience changed and more honorable people? I think that is the correct understanding. God humbles the proud and this is spoken of often throughout the Bible.
Proverbs 18:12 Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor.


Perhaps this is not something I want to hear and I just ignore God's word. Several examples exist in the Bible of sin and idolatry followed by captivity and hardship but I can ignore that because Jesus died for all my sins and I should not have to endure hardship. ?? Is this true? I don't think we can safely ignore all these examples because

1 Corinthians 10:11-13 11These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 12So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.


I'm not saying we should strive to be perfect, but I do believe we should strive to do God's will. How do we deal with failure or setbacks when we know in our heart that we are right? Search our hearts and try to get right with God. Take every opportunity to be a person of integrity and come through the difficulties as a person of character.

Prayer: God please give me a humble and obedient heart when enduring trials that seem to be breaking me down. Help me to see that all circumstances are part of your promise to prosper me and help me become the woman you want me to be.

No comments: