Saturday, June 12, 2010

Healthy positive outlook on life

I have often struggled with emotions that aren't healthy and aren't self-loving, giving me periods of depression, anxiety and ill health. This is probably common among Americans, and considered normal. But, I'm detoxing my body right now, eating clean and taking herbs to help cleanse and support my liver and other organs. As the toxins are leaving my body, seems like toxic emotions are leaving my soul.

So, as I was waking from a dream, my thoughts coalesced around a revelation: that the beginning of self-love is a mother that smiles and speaks loving worlds to you, and tells you how terrific you are. Now this is not a mental revelation so much as an emotional validation. I knew in mind, and behavior, but I dont' think I knew this as an emotional reality. Needless to say, I didn't have that. My mom was fun loving but rather anxious and stern at best and it got so much worse than that. I can see how my self-love and positive outlook in general, had a bunch of skips in it, like a Youtube video, constantly buffering.

My waking revelation this morning is that self-love comes from that smiling and approving mom. The seeds of self-hate can be sown from the lack of that smiling and approving mom, not necessarily anything more sinister. And downright self-destruction can come from a mom experience that is cold or forbidding or shutting out and shutting down. Or worse.

I like to decorate my home to make my world better, lift my family's spirits and make everything and everyone feel better. Now I realize a lot of it is because I'm still trying to make myself feel better. And I can generalize and know that we're ALL trying to make ourselves feel better. The skips in our self-love fuel industries world-wide. If everyone had perfect self-love, we wouldn't need diamonds, huge flat panel TVs , perfectly decorated tableaus in our rooms and living spaces, or big fancy cars, not to mention rich, decadent meals every time we put something in our mouths. All of that is needed to make us feel better.

I decorate on a budget and organize my little cottage within an inch of it's life, so that I can feel better, so all my nuclear family can feel better. Don't I know Mr. Clean and the Dyson ball are no substitute for mommy's smiles and kisses? Me giving smiles and kisses is far more important than me cleaning the house within an inch of it's life, and guarding my handiwork. I slip, and forget sometimes, which, I believe, stems from that inner place of me, still wanting approval. If I can have the perfect place setting, I will feel approval.

Instead, I must realize that I am the approval giver for my youngster, and to an extent, for my DH. When I forget or lose sight of my power to love and give blessing to my family, they suffer and I suffer. So my goal is to keep that role as head approver first and foremost, because that is the essence of self-love in my family. My approving smiles and loving hugs serve a big helping of spirit to my loved ones, just as crucial as physical food. Thinking of that, I have to serve spiritual meals to my family every day. And that can include bible readings and other spiritual material, but fundamentally, it's telling my family how terrific they are and what incredible blessings they are, with all my being: my loving eyes, my tender hands, my positive words and level voice and, supremely importantly, my smile, along with that breakfast, lunch and supper. In fact, 3 big helpings of approval each day will go a long way toward insuring a healthy, positive outlook on life for my kids. And since feelings are facts, and negative feelings create sickness, my spiritual-approval doses are probably the best preventive medicine or supplement I can give my kids.

I guess I have to realize that being that always-loving, always-approving mom is not such an easy way of being with my kids, since I didn't have that authentic experience. I have to force it sometimes. But I force it with love and joy! ;) I want my sons to feel, deep inside themselves, just how terrific they are everyday, one as a youngster, just bursting into life and one as a man, coping and managing with life every day. My mom eyes must see them as accomplished men, walking around, doing great things in the world. My mom eyes seeing that will help mold and shape them into men that are well-adjusted and balanced.

Being healthy makes being positive easier. When my organs are not overloaded and I'm not burdened with inflammation, you bet I can be positive about myself, I can be that shining, positive mom, that exudes approval, even while chastising and correcting. I hope. That's the goal, right? Thank you, Lord for your many blessings.

This blog is about many things, about making things that reflect a unique view of the world, about pretty and useful things. Also about human emotion, human spirituality and what's real and authentic. Maintain authenticity!

No comments: